Thursday 4 February 2010

Catching up.....

Okey. So, I know I've left my blog abandoned for a while but now I'm back!! I'll try to write more often, promised!! And I also know it's February 2010 but I wanted to wish all of you a Happy New Year!! I hope all of your dreams come true in 2010!!!
I'm going to sum up what has happened to me for the last few months and then I'm going to write different posts about those things, allright?
First of all, after studying and practicing English for 5 months, I sat for the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) on November 7th, 2009 and I received the envelope with the score in my house 13 days later. To my surprise I did very well!! The band score goes from 0.0 (you don't know anything) to 9.0 (your English is excellent); well, my band score was 8.0!!! very close!! I was sooo happy when I found out what my band score was, you can't imagine!!!
Once I had my band score (a successful one) I had to scan several documents that certified my professional experience, so that took me a few days. I sent all of those files to VEA so that they could translate all of them and prepare my papers to send everything to DIAC before the end of 2009. The reason for that was because Australian immigration regulations change twice every year; the first time they make a change is in January and the second time is in September each year. When your papers are in DIAC is like everything is frozen, meaning that your case is going to be analyzed under the regulations that were valid by the time your papers entered in DIAC. On December 22nd my agent sent me an e-mail telling me that everything was in DIAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We made it!!! so now I just have to wait for a case officer to be assigned to my case and hope to be given the visa!
Two days later it was Christmas!!!!!! I forgot everything about Australia and spend time with my family in both holidays: Christmas and New Years. In Argentina is tradition to get together with your family for Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. During that time we eat a lot... A LOT!!! and talk and laugh. It's a nice moment to be with your loved ones. For instance, we ate barbecued meat with different salads and for dessert we ate fresh fruit; then after a while we drank a cup of coffee and eat different types of cakes!!! yeah, believe it or not, we eat a lot during holidays!! Because I have Slovenian roots (my grandparents are from Slovenia) my grandpa cooked a typicall cake called Strudel and my mom cooked one called Potitsa. Everything was delicious!!!! Here are a couple of pics of those cakes, the one in the left is Strudel and the one in the right is Potitsa.  For my cousins in Slovenia and in Germany, this is for you!!!!                                


It's summer over here so you can imagine that it's really hot!!!! and we all want to be outside and spend the day by a swimming pool!!! but we have to work so we do that during the weekends. I already had my vacations and I returned to work last Monday :(  not so happy about that...but hey!! I need to work to save money for my next adventure!.... Australia!!!!


Cheers!!!
Maitena







6 comments:

treaz said...

What were the Strudels filled with?
In Romania they're quite common and they're called the same :)

Maitena said...

They were filled with apple (I think) and cinammon (again, I think). I don't like cooking so I've never asked the receipe!! Although, I know that Strudel can be filled with other fruits!

My grandparents (from my dad's side) are from Slovenia (ex-Yugoslavia) so I have European heritage!! :)

Cheers!!!

Unknown said...

Maitena!:) I have to tell you that ou made one little mistake ;) You wrote wrong potica ;) it is not "potitsa", but "potica" :)

Cheers!!! :D

Maitena said...

Hi cousin!!!! Yeah I know it's potica in slovenian but I wrote it how it sounds in spanishh!!! :)
Kisses!!

Australian Visa Advice said...

I am also an expat (Brit girl moved to Oz) and I am creating a blog about the Australian visa process.I am writing articles to help others who are looking to move to Australia.If you would like to submit a story to my blog I would love to hear about your experience of the Australian visa process, especially if it can help others. I would love to hear about whether you did it yourself or if you used a Migration Agent to help you, and what problems or pit-falls (if any) you experienced.
Thanks a lot and I love your blog.
Australian Visa Advice

Maitena said...

Hi there! I think it's a great idea to have a blog about this process. It will help a lot of people because it can get very confusing sometimes! I checked it out and I liked it!! so keep it up!
I'm glad that you like my blog and I hope to see you here again!

Cheers!!!